Nagtatanong lang po : BAKIT GINAWANG POP ANG NATIONAL ANTHEM SA LABANG PACQUIAO-HATTON? Why Martin, why? Amidst the anticipated victory of the Filipino Champ Manny Pacquiao against the brit boxer Ricky Hatton, a triumph that we’re all proud of, a lot of Pinoy commenters on papers and on-line gave their strong views regarding the issue. According to :
“Republic Act No. 8491 Section 37 : The rendition of the National Anthem, whether played or sung, shall be in accordance with the musical arrangement and composition of Julian Felipe.”
Iyon naman po pala e! There is really a reason behind the outrage of concerned Pinoys.
Here are my views :
1. It sounded like an old song being revived by a pop/ballad singer. It should have been sung the way it was composed, according to the law and never rearranged or modified. I think there’s DISRESPECT more than violation of the law.
2. I think Martin should have less facial expressions while singing it, he looked like he’s singing in his own concert or in ASAP ’09. He appeared as having TENESMUS (medical term for urgency /difficulty of defecation) or somewhat like having constipation. I mean, to be honest, I may not be his biggest fan but I’m ENTERTAINED with his performance but this… it’s the LUPANG HINIRANG , Martin, it’s far from your “Be My Lady.”
3. He should have looked more dapper if he proudly wore a BARONG TAGALOG which I think is more appropriate than a Francis M shirt under his jacket. I have nothing against Francis M, in fact, I like him and some of his views of nationalism and would gladly wear his shirt/s one of these days, but still in a HUGE event viewed by millions such as that bout, Mr. Nievera could have been more considerate and cautious with his appearance and his entire act.
4. I agree with the many that Martin should have a public apology and should not wait for anyone to file a formal complaint against him. It may be petty thing for some, but it might be a bad precedent to others not only singers. Kids might be mixed up with the so-many renditions of the anthem.
5. This should be an eye opener for every Filipino that RESPECT & LOVE of COUNTRY should be given utmost importance at all times. It’s the least we can do to elevate our “third-world-one-of-the-most-corrupt” national condition.
6. And for the singers, entertainers, or artists as they would most likely to be called, we looked up to you especially if you become inspirational with all of your achievements, but please, kindly bear with your status. ‘Ika nga ni spiderman, “with power comes great responsibility”. It’s the responsibility of all artists to memorize all their acts, lines (attention : singer Christian Bautista who sang the National Anthem in a local boxing bout and forgot a few lines), because you’re being watched by millions, and your acts are always magnified.
7. The way Tom Jones and Jasmine sang the other National Anthems sounded like Hatton is already a winner before the fight.
8. Other than Martin’s facial expression, the flag-earpiece, man, was so distracting! Why?
9. Bring in LEA SALONGA to the ring on the soonest Pacquiao fight before he retires from boxing and concentrate on, ugh, politics!
10. I wonder how ELY BUENDIA and the Eraserheads will do the Lupang Hinirang. Don’t you wish?