Jan

INTRAMUROS, MANILA | SAN AGUSTIN MUSEUM

ANS_9202

I’ve been going to San Agustin Church within the historic and cobblestone streets of Intramuros, Manila since my wonder years. My parents used to take me and my siblings to 30 churches every Holy Week back then, and their list included San Agustin Church. But it took more than 30 years before I set foot in its museum.

ANS_9204

One sunny afternoon, I had an urge to revisit  Quiapo and headed to Intramuros with the intent to experience San Agustin Museum. It was my first time to see the church with its old peach paint removed. I wasted no time and asked one of the bystanders of the museum’s location, and to my surprise, the entrance was just a few steps from the right side of the main church door. I know no reason why my parents didn’t bring us inside San Agustin Museum; I haven’t inquired but it’s no longer important for the time already came for me to discover and explore the museum myself.

ANS_9206

With only PhP 100 current admission rate for adult (PhP 80 for senior citizens, and almost half the cost for students with IDs),  every centavo was worth it!

I don’t know about you but I know some people don’t entertain the idea of going to museum. Perhaps, they’re not fascinated with history, heritage, arts and things of the past, or totally not interested with some places without life. Unlike them, I am easily drawn to anything significant; or anything of my interest. Probably, it’s really to each his own.

Immediately after the admission counter and the turnstile, a huge lifeless bell greeted me. It was simply labeled with a laminated paper that states, “A 3,400 kilogram bell, taken down in 1927 from the belfry of the San Agustin Church damaged by the earthquake of 1863.”

I was warned that photography without flash is only permitted at the hallways and not inside exhibit rooms. Good enough! I obliged of course.

ANS_9208

Every step I took seemed a stroll back in time. Isn’t that amazing? (surprising? exciting? hehehe!)

Most of the items in the hallway at the ground floor are for sale; from paintings to wooden sculptures, most have tags with fixed prices for those collectors and patrons of the arts.
ANS_9219

The concrete staircase and its ceiling, en route to the second level almost took my breath away! I literally uttered, “Wow!” several times and left me in awe for few minutes. It was like setting foot inside a century-old dungeon or a castle, or felt like I was ascending the steps of Hogwarts with Professor Dumbledore, Hagrid and Snape about to greet me with magical spells! Very theatrical and cinematic!
ANS_9236

Surreal!

Then I found the displays and stained glass windows at the second level even more amazing!
ANS_9244
ANS_9246
ANS_9248
ANS_9256

From the scale model of San Agustin Church, to small brass replica of galleon ships, paintings, priest vestments and whatnot, to the restricted noise of young students who were having an educational field trip with their teacher, I took everything in as a visual feast! Every corner appeared picturesque to me!
ANS_9257
ANS_9260

But the highlight of my visit to San Agustin Museum was admiring the choir chamber and the church’s ceiling to my heart’s delight! I found logical reason for my one hundred Philippine pesos entrance fee for I have not seen the ceiling’s painting this up close! Wow! Wow! Wow!

ANS_9262

The intricate carvings on the solid choir seats was beyond wonderful! Imagine, these were done creatively decades ago!

ANS_9264

Behold. The ceiling of San Agustin Church done in trompe l’oeil.

A quick glance at Wiki, trompe l’oeil (French for deceive the eye) defined as “an art technique that uses realistic imagery to create the optical illusion that depicted objects exist in three dimensions.”
ANS_9266
ANS_9274
ANS_9267

Beautiful, isn’t it?

I just hope and pray that proper restoration shall be done to those dilapidated areas.

Other than my appreciation for the ceiling, the pipe organ also a caught my eyes and my lens.

ANS_9270
ANS_9283
ANS_9271

From the choir loft, I completely understand why San Agustin Church remains to be a favorite venue of Sacrament of Matrimony.

ANS_9280
ANS_9294
ANS_9288

Of all the paintings inside the exhibit halls and corridors, I figured out my favorite. It’s called, The Family of the Virgin Mary, 234.3 cm x 173.3cm (92″ x 68″), Oil on Canvass, tagged as 19th century, Araneta collection.
ANS_9298

More must-see-display on the ground floor…

ANS_9312ANS_9316
ANS_9319

There’s a door from the museum that leads to the church itself besides the church’s main facade.
ANS_9320
ANS_9330
ANS_9322

My two hours inside the San Agustin Museum may not be as entertaining as watching a blockbuster comedy, love story, action or fantasy films, but my appreciation of my heritage, religion, timeless treasures of my country was heightened tremendously.

“In 1993, San Agustin Church was one of four Philippine churches constructed during the Spanish colonial period to be designated as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO, under the collective title Baroque Churches of the Philippines. It was named a National Historical Landmark by the Philippine government in 1976.” ~wiki.

San Agustin Church & San Agustin Museum | General Luna Street, Intramuros, Manila | website : http://www.sanagustinchurch.org/

>><<

20 Responses to “INTRAMUROS, MANILA | SAN AGUSTIN MUSEUM”

1. January 31, 2014 at 7:28 pm

What a fabulous place! Your photos are just amazing!

2. January 31, 2014 at 9:09 pm

Went there two years ago with friends. I’m really impressed with the details and the history :)

3. January 31, 2014 at 11:05 pm

the last time I visited the museum when I joined the intramuros tour of carlos celdran. Intramuros is such a beautiful place daming hidden places. btw, open na ba yung Cathedral?

• February 1, 2014 at 1:07 am

lucky you if you have joined carlos celdran’s tour already. i haven’t.

when i last visited intramuros on 16th january ’14, manila cathedral was still closed.

4. 7 Chris M
    February 1, 2014 at 1:23 am

Wow, Wow, Wow!! Thank you so much for sharing these beautiful photos and some of the history of the place. A wonderful step back in time to when art and architecture were made with real attention to detail and beauty.

5. February 1, 2014 at 5:05 am

I’ve never been to San Agustin church kahit nung catholic pa ko dati and that’s even closer sa Mapua hehehe, school at bahay lang kasi ako nun :-) it’s nice to hear that they have museum pala. I want to bring my kids there to see the historic museum and the architectural structure of the church. Nice photos, super ganda inggit na naman ako lol

• February 1, 2014 at 11:32 am

regardless of religion, the san agustin museum is a must-visit in manila! dami ko ngang kasabay na mga caucassian at taiwanese tourists who toured the museum too. i’m just a local touring his own neighborhood. :)

6. February 1, 2014 at 7:34 am

oh wow, so beautiful. i wasn’t aware there was a museum attached to the church.

• February 1, 2014 at 11:31 am

i wasn’t aware too that the museum is just adjacent to the church until i killed my curiosity. glad i did! the san agustin museum is one of the must-visit in intramuros!

7. February 2, 2014 at 12:59 pm

Such priceless treasures in our home land! Thanks for sharing, I will have to visit this.

8. February 3, 2014 at 11:34 am

finally you found time to visit the museum, great photos as always doc gelo!

• February 3, 2014 at 11:55 am

i remember commenting on your blog post about your visit to san agustin museum months (or was it a few years) ago
      and yes, finally i got the chance to experience it as well! it’s a visual feast! i enjoyed every minute spent.

9. February 3, 2014 at 5:54 pm

Wow! amazing photos you got there doc Gelo! You make simple things look extra ordinary when you capture it from your camera. I should probably go back to Intramuros and visit San Agustin with my daughter :)

10. February 6, 2014 at 8:40 am

I didn’t even know they have a museum there! I worked within walking distance of that church when I was still in Pinas. Thanks for giving us a pictorial tour!

January 2014