Jun

EGG TARTS, ANYONE?

It’s always a feel-good to try taste new things, most especially something different to delight my palate.

This afternoon, after our hearty lunch at Zensho Japanese buffet, my wife Tina and I walked a few steps within the area to buy those famous Lord Stow’s egg tarts…

IMG_1812

It was not our first to try its kind, but its brand. We had tasted egg tarts from other local bakeries in malls and Chinese-made egg tarts in a street in Hong Kong.  But Lord Stow’s egg tarts are Portugese having originated from Macau.  IMG_1813

We bought a box of six pieces for PhP 210 (PhP 35 per piece) and brought it home as one of the two pasalubongs  for our 4-year-old son, Gabby (the other one was a happy meal from McDonald’s that comes with a toy).  The moment he saw what’s inside that box, Gabby commented, “Creme brulee?”  As Lord Stow’s egg tarts look like creme brulee or our Filipino version, leche flan.

IMG_1814

The recipe belonged to the late Andrew Stow, an English man who lived, worked and got married in Macau. About two decades ago, he open Lord Stow’s bakery in Macau with his wife and introduced those egg tarts.  Eventually, it became well-known across neighboring countries for its delicious puffs and milky filling. In 1997, franchising throughout Asia made it more popular that lead to “Egg tart frenzy”.  (source —> CLICK!)

IMG_1828

The box states that those egg tarts are best eaten within 6 hours after purchase.  So as soon as arriving home, we immediately grabbed our bites to those English puffs as if we didn’t had buffet for lunch.

Lord Stow’s egg tarts can really sky rocket you to the moon and back! LOL. It’s creamy delicious fillings in puffs are deliciously different from the ones we’ve tried before.  Their shop isn’t only a bakery but also offers other delectable treats such as sandwiches, cookies, other yummy bread such as focaccia which Tina and I also like, coffee and other must-try goodies.

15 Responses to “EGG TARTS, ANYONE?”

1. 1 joy
    June 5, 2009 at 6:03 am

I love egg tarts! You must send me some when I arrive in Manila in a few days :)

Thanks for visiting Norwich Daily Photo and leaving your comment. Come back tomorrow!

joy
    A Pinay In England
    Your Love Coach
    I, Woman

• June 6, 2009 at 5:09 pm

I guess those unfortunate with lactose intolerance are the ones who might not want egg tarts. They’re best eaten within 6 hours as stated on its box so i guess i can’t send you some, sorry =(

2. 3 gina
    June 5, 2009 at 2:01 pm

Hay naku elo, i always have this everytime I go to Glorietta. This is my favorite eversince. You should also try their cold taho. It’s pretty good too.

• June 6, 2009 at 5:11 pm

i know. i learned these lord stow’s egg tarts are the best from you!
      i wish you have them too, or at least close to its taste there in yakima,WA.

3. June 5, 2009 at 5:11 pm

egg pie yan di ba? penge din!

4. June 5, 2009 at 9:51 pm

Yum yum!!!

Thanks Docgelo for dropping by hope u come back again and do vote for my blog.. hehe!!

5. June 5, 2009 at 10:15 pm

Thanks DocGelo appreciate your vote.. By the way put you in my blogroll so i can visit regularly thanks again! :)

6. June 6, 2009 at 11:08 am

the crust looks flaky; just the way I like it! by your description, doc, bet it tastes out of this world!
    i have to smile when Gabby asked, “creme brulee?” … boy, he’s getting to be a food aficionado at an early age! ;)

• June 6, 2009 at 5:14 pm

it’s really delicious i can grab a bite and finish it in less than a wink!
      our son, as young as he is, has been exposed to some good food. he hopes to become a chef when he grows up. =) and we’ll be his favorite food critics, LOL.

7. June 6, 2009 at 3:55 pm

this is my hubby’s favorite pastry!

8. 14 u8mypinkcookies
    August 18, 2009 at 9:27 pm

my family’s fave! their egg tarts are the best available egg tarts locally.

9. September 20, 2010 at 8:02 pm

Thanks to WordPress’ Possibly Related Links, I discovered your site. Before my recent Macau trip, I had never heard of Lord Stow’s Bakery nor did I have an unusual cravings for egg tarts.

These are my pictures from the original bakery in Macau:

Now I do!